Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Gifts and Gift-Giving (December's Topic of the Month)

Since it's the "season for giving", I feel that a discussion about gift-giving is in order.  I love giving people gifts...
  • I love the thought process involved in searching for the perfect gift for someone
  • I love shopping for said gift, wandering about shops and stores 
  • I love packaging (gift-wrap, gift bags, ribbon, and especially the smell of Scotch tape)
  • I love presenting someone with a gift, and seeing their smile!

All that said, I feel that holiday gift-giving has become insane...Now, don't get me wrong, I love all the latest gadgets and pretty things like any girlie does.  But over the last few years, it seems as though some sort of "MUST BUY BIGGER, BETTER GIFTS" has consumed holiday gift-givers.  I mean, have we lost the ability to appreciate the simple things?  Is it no longer socially acceptable to give someone a home-made (or handmade) gift that you put a lot of thought and love into?  I know, I know, who wouldn't want Santa to bring them diamonds or a new car?  But really, it's sad that we have become a society where the amount of money spent on a gift represents your love/affection/whatever toward the recipient.

And speaking of Santa:  When I was a child, Santa did not fill a room with everything a little girl could want.  I know one kid, who last year, got so many toys from Santa that he couldn't even walk in the room, and he barely gave most of the toys a second glance.  Maybe he was just a really good boy?  

So this year, I plan to give holiday gifts that are thoughtful, and hopefully handmade or homemade..

1 comment:

Erik said...

I like the idea of giving presence rather than presents.