Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ringing in the New Year: Hope and Change for 2009

We will say goodbye to 2008 and be ringing in 2009 in just a few days.  2008 has been a busy year, filled with many historical events; some good and some bad.  The three things I will remember most when I think of 2008 will be:

Family:  Just being a family with my husband and daughter (in the precious little time we have outside of our jobs) takes priority over everything else.  Watching my daughter grow from infant to toddler this year has been one of the most fulfilling times in my life.  It is simply fascinating to watch her learn and become a little person.

The Election:  This was the year of a polarizing presidential election for the United States, and I feel that the election of Barack Obama was a sign that people are ready for something different.  This election stirred all kinds of emotion in the people, and regardless of what candidate you support, it was amazing to see so many people interested in the election.  The candidates, the primaries, and the issues were covered 24/7 by the media (TV, radio, print, web, etc), and never before has an election had media coverage quite like this.

The Economy:  The financial crisis that looms over our country is another thing that I will think of when I remember 2008.  Insane fuel prices, huge layoffs, scandal.  It's difficult to turn on the TV or read the news online.  Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does.  

There are so many more things to say about 2008 that I am not mentioning, and they are all important as well (the environment, political unrest in Myanmar and Nepal, the Olympics in Beijing, hurricanes, etc).  It's not that I don't feel these are worth discussing, it's just that my family, the election and the economy are the issues that will color my memories of 2008.

Hope and Change for 2009:

Family:  My hopes for my family for 2009 are that we continue to be happy and healthy.  

The New President:  I believe that Barack Obama brings hope and the desire to make positive changes to his first term as President.  

The Economy:  Who knows what is going to happen with the economy?  This affects every one of us.


No comments: